Dana Point Ocean Institute Pilgrim Tall Ship beyond repair Sunday March 29 2020.
The historic Tall Ship Pilgrim, keeled overnight in her slip overnight.
Ocean Institute President Dr. Wendy Marshall stated that the Pilgrims “useful life is over”.
Marshall affectionally remembered that, “Our beloved vessel has served as an inspiring real-world classroom to hundreds of thousands of students and visitors.”
The Pilgrim undergoes out-of-the-water and underwater inspections.
Pilgrim Recent History
2016: Hauled out for Survey and Repairs
October 2019: Ocean Institute begins a fund to support the haul out and repair.
December 2019: United States Coast Guard issues of Certificate of Inspection (COI) for dockside programs
January 2020: Scheduled Haul Out and Repair postponed till June 2020 due to yard overload
February 2020: United States Coast Guard issues of Certificate of Inspection (COI) for dockside programs
March 29 2020: Pilgrim keeled on March 29th and is incapacitated beyond repair.
The Ocean Institute welcomes your stories, images, etc., on how the Pilgrim has made an impact on you. Send to email@example.com or #thebrigpilgrim.
The Pilgrim is a full-sized replica of the merchantman brig immortalized by Richard Henry Dana, Jr. in his American seafaring classic novel Two Years Before the Mast.
This historic voyage is the basis for the Ocean Institute’s Two Years Before the Mast education program.
Length on deck: 98′
Mainmast height: 98′
Net tonnage: 64
Built: 1945, Denmark
The original Pilgrim was built in 1825 at a cost of $50,000.
Her length was a mere 90 feet compared to the average 110 feet for other vessels of the same class. The purpose of its 1834 voyage was to participate in the California cattle hide trade for her Boston owners, Bryant and Sturgis.
The Pilgrim set sail from Boston loaded with New England’s manufactured goods such as shoes, foodstuffs and ironware.
When she arrived along the Alta California coast, the Pilgrim sold or traded her New England wares and procured hides from the missions and rancheros to sell back in Boston.
The Pilgrim anchored several times at San Juan Bay (Dana Point).
Today’s Pilgrim started her life in 1945 as a three-masted schooner plying the Baltic coastal trade out of Denmark.
In 1975, she was sailed to Lisbon, Portugal by Captain Ray Wallace, the noted marine architect, where she was converted to her present rig.
The Pilgrim entered Dana Point Harbor in September 1981, amidst tremendous community support, destined to become the Ocean Institute’s largest classroom.
The Pilgrim provided national award-winning living history programs to thousands of students each year.